Game date and time: Thursday afternoon, 17 September 1942:
* Things are going very slowly right now because we have not only had to reboot to Lightning War 3.0, we have also had to move our wiki. The new wiki is found at http://wiki.lightningwar.org and is much more powerful than the old one. Soon it will also be just as pretty, but our first priority is correcting all the out of date, bad and missing information.
* There will shortly be a post to help you keep track of things as the names of characters, places and journals change over the next two months. Very little of the actual plot has changed; it's mostly names and places, although the Leffoy-Malaspina backstory is different. Erasing all the serial numbers will be a lengthy process--but when we are done, Lightning War will finally be free of all non-deniable Harry Potter references. (We are not changing common English names that Rowling just happened to use.)
* Reminder: we back up posts to this community and comments made on those posts. Please be aware that if LiveJournal fails permanently, everything will be reposted for the sake of continuity somewhere else, probably IJ. No profit will be made from this.
* Until further notice we are not recruiting new players. It’s not fair to anyone new to expect them to start when we’re in the middle of this.
* Lightning War is hosted on Insane Journal. If you are reading this on Live Journal or through an RSS feed, links will work, but clicking on journal names probably won't--or will take you somewhere irrelevant.
* If you have friended this community but have not joined it, you are not a member. This means you will miss locked posts. You will be unable to vote in polls. Also, your comments on posts will be screened until a maintainer unscreens them, which makes discussions less lively.
* If you post on this comm--retro-caps, crack, polls, whatever--try to remember to cross-post to the LightningWatch comm on IJ. If you forget, we'll link your post in recaps over there, but that will only work if your post is public.
* Azalais' backstory fic for Lightning War, World Well Lost, is also being de-Potterised and is being posted in her fic journal, azalais, under friends lock, because she is still editing it and hasn't made any decisions about the copyleft or eventual pro publication. She will friend back anyone she recognises (well, except the trolls).
* Y'all still haven't identified all the chibis here. And there are probably more than there were the last time you looked. C'mon, they're not that hard!
Completed/Continuing Open Threads:
Not everyone in Michel Rosenthal's sixth-form arithmancy lecture is paying attention to the maths. (Closed and complete.)
Olivia Goulston is disturbed by her readings and even more disturbed by Professor Stuart's reaction to them. So are Dylan Vieira and Colette Saint-Germain. (Closed and complete.)
Alexiel Penrose badly needs a clue. Endymion Dashwood attempts to give him one, but is interrupted by his little brother. (Closed and complete.)
Joachim Piccard isn't dealing well with the memories of the things he did while he was possessed, now that he no longer is. While he's thinking it over, he meets his new co-worker, Agent Linden Hill. (Closed and complete.)
Dracaena Leffoy tells Nicodemo Malaspina how her talk with Kyteler went and asks him to come home via paired-slate. He agrees, and tells her how his talk with Fortune went. (Closed and complete.)
Dracaena Leffoy is having an agony of guilt about her inability to do justice to all her duties as sacred queen, diplomat, administrator and mother. Nicodemo Malaspina comes home and comforts her. (Closed and complete.)
Keresek is upset because his visions seem to contradict each other; his mother Steren helps him sort it out. (Closed and complete.)
Halász Sándor notices that his sister Sharolt's taken a sudden turn for the worse--in a way which implies that there is probably something coming for her. (Closed and complete.)
Edouard Thibault, Olivia Goulston and Vicky Wurfel have a plan for helping Olivia calm down. A bad one.
Marek Červenka responds to Jenica Popescu's letter. He is interested in meeting Endymion Dashwood.
Emmeline Wilkes warns her cousin Endymion not to be too big a hero; she likes him better alive than not.
Eliot Gardiner invites Corinne Allison to go to the Academy with him, because her help was invaluable before--and also he'd like to see her again.
Ercole Malaspina realises he's been an idiot. How better to make amends than with another rash decision?
Esteban García is seeing things again: more black feathers. Also, perhaps he's beginning to realise that Ercole isn't particularly committed to him and that it's not his job to clean up his sister Carmela's messes.
St John Saunders is also finally over Ercole. He's given enough energy that should have gone to Julian to Ercole, and now Julian has to go rescue people up at the Academy while he and Vince Rosenthal run after Séverine Leffoy and the information she's got for them. Also, he hopes that Juliana Leffoy and Michel Rosenthal don't have a relationship like the one Juliana's mother had with her father.
Joscelin van Rensselaer, who has no idea what is going on around him, writes an explicit love letter to Michaela Pryce. (In case you missed it the first time, this is EXPLICIT.)
Thecla Device muses over Rosalind Clutterbuck's letter.
Paul Pettigrew's past-due reality cheque has left him emotionally overdrawn.
Miranda Serrano has decided to accompany Yvon Leffoy to the Academy as she is sure she will be needed.
There are letters to the editor of the Londinium Herald responding to Estrid Frealaf's call for the closure of the Royal Academy.
Colette Saint-Germain remembers when she and Juliana Leffoy and another girl named Violette were the best of friends.
Tristan Trevelyan really wishes his father didn't discuss human sacrifice quite so cavalierly.
Laurent Vigoreux really misses Lanval Trevelyan.
Corinne Allison wonders what it's going to be like knowing Eliot Gardiner, given that they always seem to meet at lightning rains. But they need her, so she'll go.
Tom Forrester is sure the orrery is calling him to greatness, and irritated that people keep getting in the way of his rising to meet it.
Will Goyle has plans to evacuate the school. But he really doesn't want Liane to work with Gardiner and Piccard, because she's a queen.
None this time.
Here's the list of who's where on Insane Journal.
None this time.
Alison's NPCs Alexiel Penrose, Jerome Device, Laurent Vigoreux, and Tristan Trevelyan, Arianwen Rosier, Léo Szilárd, Marek Červenka, Nicolas de Marigny and Rob Mitchell have new userpics.
Violette Lausson was the close friend of both Colette Saint-Germain and Juliana Leffoy de Marigny when they were all students at the Académie de Ker-Ys, but she had to give up her education and her ballet career when her father decided to promote her elder sister Désirée in Lutetia. (PB: Ashlee Simpson-Wentz)
Under New Management:
There are a lot of characters that are currently open. Check out the Adoptable Characters page for descriptions of the kinds of adoptions that are open and lists of characters available for each. If you are not sure, ask. :) We will be accepting new applications once we are done rebooting.
Fun and Games:
The Lipson-Shiu Corporate Type Test. Lee Ann and I tested some of the characters we play. Dracaena and Juliana got ILIG. Will Goyle and Yvon Leffoy got ILUG (and Yvon was annoyed about it). Florian Leffoy got ILIE, Endymion Dashwood got ICUE, Séverine Leffoy got ILUE, Báthory Zsuzsanna got SLIG and Davy Nutter got SCIE.